Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Inspiration Needed... Not Calories

Some times of the day are easier then others. Food calls different people at different times. Morning is not a problem for me. I would rather not eat at all until noon. But I learned years ago my body just does better if I give it a little fuel in the morning. But this time of day… between 2:30 and 3:30 is torture. If I had a bag of …well anything… I would eat it all.

I keep 100 Cal snacks in my desk drawer to get me through the afternoon, but days like this….

So today I went on the internet to find some inspiration, to keep me out of the cafeteria vending machines. Prevention Magazine on line has tons and tons of quick read stuff. Here is the story I read today…

From Prevention Magazine November 2007
http://www.prevention.com/weightlossmotivation/

“When Katie Ciarcia's doctor nixed gastric bypass surgery, she lost 124 pounds the old-fashioned way
My story
I'm Half My Former Size!"

Sure, I knew I was overweight. But over the past 19 years, as I morphed from a 98-pound bride to a 234-pound wife and mom, I thought that fat was my fate. The needle started to tilt after I got pregnant with my daughter--I ate rich and fattening foods all the time, but my husband made it clear that he loved me no matter what I weighed. I used his support as an excuse to overeat. Each time I tried to lose the pounds, I would end up even heavier.

The light bulb momentAlmost 2 years ago, I traveled home to the Philippines for my parents' 50th anniversary celebration. After, my family and I watched it on video. We joked that all the guests who had moved to America had gotten large. Then I came onto the screen--I looked so huge; I couldn't believe it was me. Everyone else kept laughing. I didn't let on that the tears rolling down my cheeks were from hurt.

A doctor's tough loveWithin days, I saw my doctor and begged for bariatric surgery. But she flat-out refused. "Katie, you can do this on your own," she insisted. So I wracked my brain for something I hadn't tried, and settled on Weight Watchers. I started to track what I ate and realized how giant my meals were. It was hard to get used to normal servings, but I never felt deprived as I dropped more than 100 pounds in just over a year.
Exercise was also critical. I found ways to challenge myself, like by adding minutes to my routine or trying out a new machine at the gym.

In control at lastThe benefits of my success are amazing. After I work out, my husband says I'm bouncy--I have so much energy. Plus, I'm off my
hypertension pills. My doctor was so excited, she practically jumped up and down! I'm indebted to her for believing in me and saving me from the risks of surgery. I'm learning that I, too, can inspire people. The relatives who saw me on that dreadful video now exercise and eat right. They say I'm their role model. If I can do it, anyone can!
How I did it
I ate more…produce. I had to reintroduce my taste buds to greens. Before, I thought of
broccoli as a miniature tree; now I enjoy it with a little seasoning.

I ate less…
rice. It's a huge part of Filipino cuisine, and I used to eat way too much. I also stopped frying and now grill, bake, broil, and poach. My mantra was…take small steps. You have to keep setting realistic mini-goals for yourself. When I started, I didn't say, "I'm going to be a size 4." I said, "I'm not going to go up to a size 24!"

I exercised…at 4 am. Nothing can interfere with my workout this early.

Unexpected gain: A reclaimed hobby. I've always loved
gardening, but when I was overweight, it became a chore. Now I'd rather push a mower than ride one, just to get the extra exercise.

Health bonus: I've added years to my life. I am no longer borderline diabetic, and I'm off my meds. I'm even considering training for a marathon, which would have sounded like a joke before.



1 comment: